Cockroach Avoidance Tips
Cockroach droppings contain an allergy protein that is a major trigger for asthma and allergies.
Follow these steps to minimize exposure to the cockroach protein.
- Block all areas through which roaches could enter your home including wall cracks, crevices and windows.
- As roaches need water to survive, fix and seal all leaky faucets and pipes.
- Have an exterminator go through the house to eliminate any remaining roaches.
- Keep food covered and put pet food dishes away after pets are done eating.
- Vacuum and sweep the floor after meals.
- Take out garbage and recyclables.
- Use lidded garbage containers in the kitchen.
- Wash dishes after use and clean under stoves, refrigerators and toasters where crumbs can collect.
- Wipe off stove and other kitchen surfaces regularly.
Mold Avoidance Tips
Mold allergy is due to seeds called ‘spores’ released by fungi into air. Mold season is typically worst from spring to late fall. Most common spores found outdoors are those of Alternaria, Cladosporium and Hormodendrum. Common indoor molds include Aspergillus and Penicillium. Some molds such as Epicoccum, Fusarium and Bipolaris are found indoors and outdoors. Mold allergy is not related to any reported toxic effects of mold (‘toxic mold’). It is also not related to infections caused by molds or fungi.
Follow these steps to reduce exposure to mold.
- Wear a filter mask if exposure is anticipated.
- Eliminate any source of dampness in basements and bathrooms.
- Use a dehumidifier in such areas. Empty the water and clean the unit daily.
- Keep indoor humidity between 40-50%.
- Change furnace filter regularly.
- Wash hard surfaces with water, detergent and 5% bleach.
- Repair and seal leaking roofs or pipes.
- Do not carpet concrete or damp floors.
- Avoid storing items in damp areas.
If you have questions about Cockroach or Mold Avoidance Tips, feel free to contact our offices. One of our staff would be happy to answer your questions about these topics and the different treatment options offered at Allergy & Asthma Clinics of Ohio.
Print this information.